The recent mercury spill on Oahu has left many of us bothered and bewildered about the way it was handled. The mercury was left in a building abandoned nearly 40 years ago by the military. Since then the property has passed from State agency to agency and, even though they knew about mercury and other toxic substances on the property, nothing was done because the "cost of the cleanup would be nearly equal to the value of the land". Instead the property was left to decay over the years and has become an "open invitation" for kids to play.
Only after it was discovered that children were bringing mercury to school because it was so much fun to play with (remember pushing around beads of mercury in science class when we were kids?) was something done.... And what a thing it was!
THEN LOCKED OUT
AND MORE ........
1. PHOTO ALBUM OF A CLEANUP DISASTER
Face the Music
Fence Me In / Fence Me Out
Up Close with the Mercury
2. Our letter to Mr. Donald H. Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense, based on our interviews and investigation of documents, explains it all.